Corrupted OS

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sat Mar 17 20:09:14 UTC 2007

Drew Jenkins wrote:
> /etc/fstab says ufs. Is there a better way to check if its ufs2?
> Drew2
>
> Garrett Cooper <youshi10 at u.washington.edu> wrote: On Mar 16, 2007, at 7:34 PM, Drew Jenkins wrote:
>
>> How large is "large"? Why filesystem are you using with what
>> options?The MySQL database was just under a gigabyte, and the Zope
>> Data.fs file/database was somewhere under 2 gigabytes. Options? No
>> options. I had symlinks from where these dbases were supposed to
>> live on the SCSI drives to the 500 GB drive. Then suddenly, poof!
>> They were gone.
>> Drew
>
> Well, I was curious because I thought it could be something to deal
> with the 2GB file limit. You still haven't answered my question about
> the filesystem though: are you using UFS2 or something else?
>
> Thanks,
> -Garrett

The easiest way to figure out if you're running UFS2 is to go to the
disk label feature within sysinstall, and define a mount point for the
slice. Make sure _not_ to make any changes though as you'll be thrusting
yourself in the middle of a system upgrade (CTRL-C is your friend).

If it's ufs1, it should definitely be converted to ufs2. There were some
serious limitations in ufs1, in particular dealing with file size (2GB
limit I believe) and features. Someone else on the list might be able to
advise you or point you in the right direction if you want more details..

Also, you should be running softupdates. If not you're playing a risky
game of russian roulette with your data, where if corrupted things can
disappear between reboots if you didn't power down the machine properly
(power down via ATX dead man power switch, power loss, etc).

If all else fails and you're not running ufs1 on the disk, try upgrade
your bios or firmware controller that the disk is operating on, and get
back to us with more details.

Cheers,
-Garrett