Build your own ISO-install-CD?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sat Mar 17 19:49:52 UTC 2007

On 2007-03-16 14:37, Ewald Jenisch <a at jenisch.at> wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:07:17AM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> The process is long and complex.  You don't want to do it if you can
>> help it.  If people beg me on this list I'll post the step by step I
>> use but trust me you really really don't want to do this unless
>> absolutely necessary.
>
> Hi Ted,
> I suppose this might be of interest to others too, so maybe you could
> post your "receipe" here?
>
>> Here is the easy way to fix this.
>>
>> 1) Burn a CD with the new driver
>> 2) Boot off a regular install ISO and install your system plus kernel
>> sources
>> 3) Mount the burned CD and copy the new driver to the kernel
>> source location it is supposed to be at
>> 4) Recompile kernel and your in business.
>
> Nice "shortcut-tip"! :-) Guess copying the complete /usr/src via CD to
> the target machine would even be better given the lot of mods that
> went into the system and kernel since 6.2 has been released.

Ted is right that the process can take quite a while, and you have to be
careful not to miss steps along the way.  Please note, however, that
thanks to the help of past members of the RE team, large pargs of the
release engineering process of FreeBSD are documented in manpages like
release(7), build(7) and in articles like ``FreeBSD Release
Engineering''[1] and ``FreeBSD Release Engineering for Third Party
Software Packages''[2].

[1] http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/
[2] http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng-packages/

Before you embark on a mission to make your own CD-ROM or DVD of
installable FreeBSD snapshots, it is a good idea to check out these
references.  They may be of help :-)

Regards,
Giorgos