Portupgrade and replacing apache 1.3.37 with apache 2.2.4

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Mar 16 20:17:41 UTC 2007

Doug Poland wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE on an i386 test box with apache
> 1.3.37/PHP-5/MySQL-5.  As the subject says, I'd like to replace apache
> 1.3 with apache 2.2.
>
> I understand httpd.conf will change and that I'll have to edit that by
> hand, but is there a portupgrade command that will remove 1.3.37,
> install 2.2.4, and rebuild all apache dependent programs?
>
> I'm thinking something like:
>
> # portupgrade -R -f -o www/apache22 www/apache13-modssl

portupgrade -o www/apache22 -rf apache13\*

will install apache22 in place of apache13-modssl and force a rebuild
of everything that depends on apache13-modssl

Putting

  APACHE_PORT= www/apache22
  WITH_APACHE2=yes

into /etc/make.conf before trying that is generally a good idea too.

Note that this sort of command is not going to cover all of the edge
cases.  apache13-modssl has a different dependency tree to apache22 --
for example, libmm (devel/mm) is not needed by apache22.  Having libmm
floating around unused shouldn't break anything though.

Not relevant to the OP, but if you were a mod_perl user, you would
need to do a bit more work and install the www/mod_perl2 port in place
of www/mod_perl when upgrading to apache22.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW