mirror without destroying existing contents

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Fri Mar 16 16:08:45 UTC 2007

On Friday 16 March 2007 11:18, Steve Franks wrote:
> I get the following:
>
> #gmirror label -v -b split -s 1024 data ad0
> can't store metadata on ad0: operation not permitted.

That most likely means that you currently have a filesystem on ad0 mounted. If
that's the case you should be glad that the OS was smarter than you. What
steps had you taken prior to this?

> Ideas?  Same behavior with /dev/ad0.  Does this only work with da0
> disks, not sata drives?  I'm logged in as root, not su.  The drive is
> on a promise non-raid sata card (the sw raid chipset on my asus bios
> lost support going from 6.1 to 6.2 - something about some new method
> not supported by the bios according to Soren).

Gmirror should work with any GEOM provider, and definitely works with SATA
disks. As long as your controller is supported to the point of seeing and
accessing the disks connected to it the software raid support is irrelevant
(that's what you're using gmirror for).

JN