Corrupted OS

Drew Jenkins drewjenkinsjr at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 13:13:31 UTC 2007

How do I know the kernel has not become corrupted? Actually, as I think about it, I should probably rebuild the kernel anyway to work with packet filters. Here are my notes from the last time I updated:

/usr/src/UPDATING and /usr/src/Makefile?

I'm not sure what I mean by the above, but should I use the Makefile and not UPDATING?

synch your source to 6.2

How? And is this necessary since it's already at 6.2?

cvsup -g -L 2 supfile
cd /usr/src
make clean;make cleanworld
make buildworld
cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/
# back up any custom config there is
cp GENERIC BACKUP_CONFIG
cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=LOCAL # use this from now on!
make installkernel KERNCONF=LOCAL # use this from now on!
# Note: LOCAL is a copy of GENERIC in the same folder (/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC)
# with changes for pf as follows:
# # Packet Filters
# device pf
# device pflog
# device pfsync
# options         ALTQ
# options         ALTQ_CBQ        # Class Bases Queuing (CBQ)
# options         ALTQ_RED        # Random Early Detection (RED)
# options         ALTQ_RIO        # RED In/Out
# options         ALTQ_HFSC       # Hierarchical Packet Scheduler (HFSC)
# options         ALTQ_PRIQ       # Priority Queuing (PRIQ)
sh /etc/rc.shutdown             # kills all your services
pkill sendmail
pkill syslogd
mergemaster -p
make installworld
mergemaster
reboot
/usr/local/bin/portmanager -u -f -l -y
make delete-old-libs

What happens if my internet connection dies when I'm doing this? Will I still be able to SSH into my box?
TIA,
Drew