'nodump' on directories: new contents still dumped

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Fri Mar 16 11:01:53 UTC 2007

Bram Schoenmakers wrote:

>>On Thursday 15 March 2007 13:57, Bram Schoenmakers wrote:
>>

>>>I'm using dump(8) for backing up a FreeBSD 4.10 server.

[...]

>>>The problem is that new files appearing in the /usr/ports tree (daily
>>>portsnap cron) do not have the 'nodump' flag set. But despite the
>>>'nodump' flag on the /usr/ports directory, the new files in the tree are
>>>still dumped.
>>>
>>>I understood that dump does not enter directories with 'nodump' flag set,
>>>so it shouldn't see the new files inside, right? Or is this behavior
>>>implemented in a newer version than FreeBSD 4.10? I have scanned the CVS
>>>logs for dump, but couldn't find anything relevant.
>>>

>-h 0 just works fine, that is not the problem.
>
>I may have forgotten one detail in case that was not clear. The level 0 backup
>does not contain any folder marked with 'nodump' (so it's all OK, despite
>the -h0 you mentioned). New contents (which have no flags set) in these
>folders emerge in higher level dumps.
>
>The problem is that dump(8) enters directories with 'nodump' flags set while
>it shouldn't.

I'll second what Wojciech said: I've been using nodump flags for some
time and never seen the symptoms you describe.  I have just verified
that 5.4 does not do this for me - even with /usr/ports which I too
neglect to dump!

However, you are running an ancient, obsolete version (4.10).

Can you try explicitly putting a "-h 0" into your incremental command
line and see if that makes a difference?  If it still does what you
describe, show us the exact command line you are using.

--Alex