burncd makes disk that is unmountable

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Mar 16 03:44:01 UTC 2007

Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 01:06:10PM +0100, Dieter wrote:
>
>> AMD64 running 6.0
>> Drive is:
>>   acd0: DVDR <HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4160B/A301> at ata0-master UDMA66
>> Media is CD-RW
>>
>> Burned a 6.2 disk using:
>>   burncd data 6.2-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso fixate
>> as suggested in
>>   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html
>
> I don't remember the details, but when I got to 6.1, I found that
> my old burncd parameters would not work and I had to change them.
>
> I don't remember the details, but I settled upon:
>   /usr/sbin/burncd -v -f /dev/acd0 data FreeBSD62-disc1.iso fixate
> which seems to work find.  Both boots and mounts.  That doesn't look
> materially different from yours, but...
>
> ////jerry
>
>> Seemed to go okay.  Disk boots, but I cannot mount it:
>>
>> fstab entry:
>>   /dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
>>
>> Yields:
>>   g_vfs_done():acd0[READ(offset=32768, length=2048)]error = 5
>>
>> Tried it with and without "fixate", neither will mount.
>>
>> Other iso disks (probably burned using NetBSD) mount fine.
>> UFS DVD+RW disks burned under FreeBSD using growisofs mount fine.
>>
>> Given the error message, I assume that the block/sector at 32768 isn't
>> getting written.

I hate to slam burncd because it does the job, but I've always found
cdrecord / mkisofs to be a better set of software for burning CDs than
burncd.. Besides, burncd chokes on permission errors on my machine
whereas cdrecord keeps on humming away with issue, and I've been using
it for 2 releases now (6.1, 6.2).

-Garrett