Build your own ISO-install-CD?

James Anderson baka.rob at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 16:23:27 UTC 2007

On 3/15/07, Ewald Jenisch <a at jenisch.at> wrote:
> Yes you're right - the question is about how to create a *custom*
> ISO-image.

I tried to find something about this in the FreeBSD docs, but I didn't
look very hard:

http://romana.now.ie/writing/customfreebsdiso.html

>From the article:

"""
I needed to install FreeBSD on a system (a Dell PowerEdge 400SC) with
an LSILogic 1030 Ultra4 SCSI adapter. At that time support for this
device was only available with an mpt driver patch that hadn't yet
made it into FreeBSD. I needed to make install media that incorporated
the mpt patch.
"""

It's for a different driver patch, not sure if it will work as I
haven't tried it myself, and again it's not the FreeBSD docs, but
hopefully it will help a bit.

> cd /usr/src
> # make release -DMAKE_ISOS
> `release' is up to date.
> #
>
> yet, no .iso-files to find :-(
>
> I also came across /usr/src/release/i386/mkisoimages.sh

The link I found was googled with "mkisoimages.sh" as the query
string.  Most of the results were from CVS check-ins, but if you want
to search for more documentation, searching for things that mention
that file could be a good start.

> It needs the following params:
> "mkisoimages.sh [-b] image-label image-name base-bits-dir [extra-bits-dir]"
>
> Where is "base-bits-dir" supposed to be?
>
> -ewald

-Parker