Trying to Upgrade Version of Tar on a 5.3 System.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Mar 15 16:23:25 UTC 2007

	I am transfering all our working group files from a
FreeBSD5.3 platform to a bigger, faster and FreeBSD6.2 system.
I discovered that bsdtar on the 5.3 system doesn't appear to
have the --newer-than feature in which you only archive files
newer than either a given date or a reference file such as the
last monster tar ball from, say, /usr/home.

	The plan was to copy the monster tar ball over which has
happened without problems, and then do a second pass just before
we shut the older system down and pick up everybody's files
which have changed in a hopefully much smaller tar ball which
can then be overlayed to bring everything up to date as to what
it was on the old system.

	The ports collection has gtar and freetar and the older
system is  using the bsdtar that unpacked from the iso image so
it would not be productive to try to install what I already have
as there is nothing wrong.

	Will either freetar or gtar give me the capability to
use a reference file to only get the new files that have either
appeared or changed since yesterday?

	Is there another way to use the existing tar that I
might have missed that does the same thing?

	Thanks.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer