sendmail not working?

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Thu Mar 15 13:38:43 UTC 2007

Nagy László Zsolt wrote:

> I'm sorry, I did not paste all lines related to sendmail. Here are the
>
> messias# cat /etc/rc.conf | grep sendm
> sendmail_enable="NO"
> sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
> sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
> sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
> messias# cat /etc/rc.conf | grep postf

[...]

> postfix-2.3.5,1     A secure alternative to widely-used Sendmail
>
> I know it is not the newest, but should work.

Things changed in the way postfix is installed,  In particular old ports
required sendmail_enable="YES" and some substitutions to various
sendmail commands.

To be sure you did the right thing you would have to look at the
pkg-message *from the version of the port that you installed*.

An old port should work, but you have to make sure that you followed the
instructions from that port.

I can't tell whether this is the case for you or not.

Either way, it might help to get the latest version of the port (either
cvsup/portsnap/csup, or just downloading the latest port from
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=postfix&stype=name and
download whichever version it is you have and overwrite the version in
/usr/ports (after backing it up :-))

--Alex