Optimizationn questions?

youshi10 at u.washington.edu youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 15 03:23:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Danny Pansters wrote:

> On Thursday 15 March 2007 02:16, Gary Kline wrote:
>> 	Two quick one for kernel and/or compiler wizards:  first, is
>> 	a 400Mz processor considered a 586 (for my KERNELCONF file)?
>
> Think its 686 (but really, leaving 486 and 586 in isn't going to slow down
> booting or anything!) I always say: Use GENERIC unless you have a good reason
> not to.
>
>> 	Second, is it safe to do a buildworld with -O3?  If there are
>
> No. It's not supported if things break.
>
>> 	stability concerns, I'll go with the default when I rebuild my
>> 	6.2 systems.
>
> The defaults should be fine. Also, like I said consider just using GENERIC and
> load the odd kmod if needed. Generally it's less headache and equal
> performance.
>
>> 	thanks in advance,
>>
>> 	gary
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dan

Dan,
      I know that this has been discussed a few times before, but IMO running a slightly stripped down kernel (i.e. custom, not GENERIC) actually proves to be helpful in increasing boot times (if options were added statically) and compile times if [(# of options added) < (# of options in GENERIC)].

      I like being able to compile my kernel on my P4 in less than 10 minutes anyhow with less options :). The only thing that was brought up earlier (sometime later last year in a thread--I think either Oct or Nov) is that removing options removes flexibility as well. But that's a tradeoff you have to make.

-Garrett