binary patches?

Vince jhary at unsane.co.uk
Wed Mar 14 16:20:04 UTC 2007

Gary Kline wrote:
> 	Regarding most (or many) of the port changes--say, upgrading
> 	foo-2.1.9_5 to foo-2.1.9_6, if  the upgrade could be done by
> 	downloading a binary diff file, could the resulting
> 	/usr/local/bin/foo-2.1.9_6 be achieved by downloading a
> 	relatively small binary patch?  Seems to me that smaller scale
> 	upgrades could be done this way in preference to re-compiling
> 	ports or downloading entire pacakes.  --Same would go for any
> 	dependencies.
>
> 	Why is this a bad idea!
>
> 	gary
portsnap works on this basis as does freebsd-update, see
http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-update/
I can imagine it could get horribly complex, but using
http://www.daemonology.net/bsdiff/ i guess its potentially possible.
Colin Percival would be a good person to talk to if you're thinking of
implementing this, since he wrote the tools referenced above.

Vince