Installing a second hard disk

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Mar 14 04:06:19 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 06:05:16PM +0100, Aitor San Juan wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I am trying to install a secondary hard disk in a Intel-based PC
> with FreeBSD 5.4
>
> This secondary disk's capacity is 250 Gb. When I enter sysintall
> to try to format it and create a slice, FreeBSD says that the
> geometry of disk is not correct. I, then, type in the values detected
> by the BIOS as suggested, but FreeBSD still complains that those
> are not valid. FreeBSD sees the new disk as a disk of approx. 131 GB.
>
> So my question is: where is the problem? Is it that FreeBSD is not
> able to recognise such a big disk capacity?
>
> Any hint, suggestion, or web link would be highly appreciated.

So far, I have been successful in ignoring those warnings and just
going ahead and doing the fdisk / bsdlabel / newfs.   After that the
warnings seem to stop and everything works OK.   It makes me wonder
why those messages still come out on new disks, if they aren't meaningful,
bit I don't know the whole deal about it.

Geometry seems to be virtual and the OS does its own thing once it
gets out from under BIOS processing.

/////jerry