Tool for validating sender address as spam-fighting technique?

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Wed Mar 14 03:37:02 UTC 2007

On Mar 13, 2007, at 9:30 PM, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:

> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

>>> I'm not sure what you mean by callbacks but if that involves
>>> talking to
>>> mx.example.com and trying to figure out if
>>> cmdr.sinclair at example.com is
>>> a valid address go ahead. I would consider a mailserver that answers
>>> that question a security risk as it is freely giving away
>>> information
>>> about your domain without notifying you. For a long time my mx
>>> servers
>>> would answer any such question in the affirmative regardless of
>>> whether
>>> or not the mail account existed.
>> Address verification callbacks take various forms, but the way
>> exim does it by default is to attempt to start a DSN delivery to
>> the address and if the RCPT TO is accepted it is affirmative.  It
>> is not usually use VRFY.  Most address verification is done by
>> attempting to start some sort of delivery to the address.
>
> I'm assuming that DSN is Delivery Service Notification

yes

> or return receipt.

mp

> If it is or if it somehow relies on the ability to deliver a
> message via smtp to *@example.com then I don't see how it prevents
> spam.

If the mail says it is from chris at vindaloo.com but I cannot send a
DSN to chris at vindaloo.com then the account is most likely bogus
sender and is refused.  It works wonders for spam.

DSN has a specific definition -- look in the RFCs as I don't remember
which RFC it is offhand.  But you are supposed to always accept a DSN
from <> as part of the RFCs

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC