Wireless Bridge in FreeBSD 6.1

Kevin Downey redchin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 23:06:58 UTC 2007

On 3/13/07, Sung Park <compara at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having trouble to bridge two wireless card which is Atheros AR5213A in
> FreeBSD 6.1.  I try to make transparent bridge in these two wireless card.
>
> I compiled BRIDGE in kernel and I put
>
> net.link.ether.bridge=1
> net.link.ether.bridge_cfg=*ath0*,*ath1*
> net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw=1
>
> in sysctl.conf.
>
> Following diagram is what I did it.
>
> (192.168.0.1)Ath0----Ath0,Ath1(192.168.0.2)----Ath0(192.168.0.100)
>
> Left unit is wireless router. Middle unit is transparent bridge. Right unit
> is client.  I set up like this.  Ath0 of left unit is AP. Ath0 of middle
> unit is Station.  Ath1 of middle unit is AP. Ath0 of right unit is Station.
> I can ping from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.2 but I can't ping from
> 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.1.
>
> I tested wired LAN bridge with same configuration. It works well.
>
> Anyone has idea about this or has same problem. Please, help me. Any kind of
> information will save me.

My understanding is that because of how the 802.11 is designed, this
sort of setup is not possible using ethernet bridging code(if_bridge
and friends) if you are using infrastructure mode and a-hoc mode is
kind of slow. WDS may be waht you are looking for but I don't know if
FreeBSD supports it yet..

--
The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred.