UFS2 Snapshot limitiations

Pietro Cerutti pietro.cerutti at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 18:48:42 UTC 2007

On 3/13/07, Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:

> > > Thank you very much.
> > >

> > Sorry for joining the thread, but it's raised my curiosity: what's the
> > reason for this limit?
>
> I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it's because snapshot information is stored
> in the filesystem superblock, and that's all that can fit in the space
> available in the superblock.

This is the same thing that came to my mind, but in the handbook page I found:
"Active snapshots are recorded in the superblock so they are
persistent across unmount and remount operations along with system
reboots."

1) what an "active" snapshot is?
2) is that limit limited (...) to active snapshots?

Tnx

--
Pietro Cerutti

- ASCII Ribbon Campaign -