No matter what I try I can't get Nvidia 3d acceleration to work. Please help!

Pieter de Goeje pieter at degoeje.nl
Tue Mar 13 15:07:56 UTC 2007

Op dinsdag 13 maart 2007 14:56, schreef hxc at planet.nl:
> Hugo Silva wrote:
> > I have to disagree. Been playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein[: Enemy
> > Territory] and NeverWinter Nights 1 for years - I surely wouldn't say
> > they're "anything from slow to unplayable": NWN runs fine at max
> > resolution, and I have constant 142FPS (they're capped @ 142) on ET, at
> > 1280x1024.
> >
> > Hugo
My experience exactly; been playing Quake3 a while at framerates over 350
(1024x768). In fact, I have created a robot simulation / visualisation which
runs faster on FreeBSD than on Windows. OpenGL is just as fast on FreeBSD as
it is on Windows, when set up properly.

> That is good news :D. I think the problem is not with 3d acceleration
> but with AGP. I now get this error message at boot:
>
> login: NVRM: AGP cannot be enabled on this combination of the AMD CPU
> and OS kernel
> NVRM: kernel upgrade recommended.
You really need to delete 'device AGP' from your kernel config and rebuild
your kernel.

When everything is working OK, the hw.nvidia sysctl will look like this:
pyotr at nox:~> sysctl hw.nvidia
hw.nvidia.agp.card.rates: 8x 4x
hw.nvidia.agp.card.fw: supported
hw.nvidia.agp.card.sba: supported
hw.nvidia.agp.card.registers: 0xff000e1b:0x1f000302
hw.nvidia.agp.status.status: enabled
hw.nvidia.agp.status.driver: nvidia
hw.nvidia.agp.status.rate: 8x
hw.nvidia.agp.status.fw: disabled
hw.nvidia.agp.status.sba: enabled
[ ... ]
hw.nvidia.cards.0.model: GeForce 7600 GT
hw.nvidia.cards.0.irq: 16
hw.nvidia.cards.0.vbios: 05.73.22.25.70
hw.nvidia.cards.0.type: AGP

Regards,