Recover Make ARG's from a ports Install

Parv parv at pair.com
Tue Mar 13 03:08:59 UTC 2007

in message <20070312223920.1a7a4629.bsd-unix at earthlink.net>,
wrote Randy Pratt thusly...

> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 20:15:20 -0400
> Parv <parv at pair.com> wrote:
>
> > in message <042d01c76476$b226bc30$16743490$@net>,
> > wrote Alexander Schlichting thusly...
> > >
> > > On a server I have a package installed using ports and now I
> > > have to install the package with exactly the same make
> > > arguments on another server. I just don't find a way to see
> > > what arguments where used to install it the first time. With
> > > Linux I would look into config.status is there something
> > > similar with FreeBSD?
> >
> > There may be config.status present in $WRKSRC directory (in a
> > port directory, run "make -V WRKSRC" to find the value) if that
> > port's make process generates such a file AND you have not run
> > "make clean" yet.  (That also means you have to compile the port
> > yourself.)
> >
> > To save make arguments for future use, you could write a wrapper
> > which would save the arguments in a file|database before running
> > appropriate make target.  Use the same wrapper to retrieve the
> > stored arguments.

(removed self promotion)

> 	/usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf
>
> See man 5 pkgtools.conf for a full description.

I am personally aware of that but do not use it.  Besides using
/etc/make.conf & OPTIONS, I am just fine with specifying options on
the command line mostly because this is the most flexible way of
experimenting with options.

> It has the advantage that portupgrade will use the contents of
> that file when updating to new versions so that your settings are
> not lost.
>
> Make arguments as well as a variety of other options for
> installing and updating ports can reside there.

That is similar as specifying in /etc/make.conf as listed by someone
else (with the added benefit of not having to install anything
outside of base system).

In any case, neither of /etc/make.conf or portupgrade provide the
facility to store the arguments given on command line if one happen
to do that instead of updating either of the two files.

Note that the command line recording that I am trying to describe is
not a substitute[0] to but complementary to various port|package
tools (if they are happened to be installed).

  - Parv