On /etc/portsnap.conf (was: Re: what "port*" string can I crontab that will *work*)

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue Mar 13 00:05:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 01:34:32PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 04:05:00PM -0400, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:41:00 -0800
> > Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
> >
> > > 	Anybody have an automatic (/etc/crontab) method of keeping
> > > 	ports current?  I'm almost done upgrading my 5 systems to
> > > 	6.2  (to be able to grab valid packages) and tried portupgrade
> > > 	with several variants of flags/switches.  portuprade with
> > > 	-rpfP wound up  recycling my packages most of the time.  [?]
> > > 	I've starting to think that there may be no way of doing this
> > > 	automatically.  portmanager -b -u -l may be better:: dunno.
> > >
> > > 	thanks for some insights here,
> >
> > Actually, I use something like that. I created a script that runs both
> > portsnap and portmanager.
> >

> > #!/bin/sh
> > /usr/sbin/portsnap cron update
> > /usr/local/bin/portmanager -u -l -p
> >
> > I call this script from CRON once a week. It seems to work quite well.
> > If you have a MAILTO in CRON, it will even give you a print out of what
> > transpired. You can just send output to /dev/null of course.
> >
> > Do make sure you have the latest version of 'portmanager' installed. It
> > was recently updated. You cannot update it using itself. You must use
> > the 'make install && make clean' method. If you are not familiar with
> > 'portsnap', just read the manual.
>
> 	Gotta check out portsnap.  There's got to be some means of
> 	automating most of this.   Some human intervention may always'
> 	be required (else: "Why am I here?" :).  But hopefully a min.

		Hmmm.  Well, I've replied to several of my own posts, but
		haven't felt this clumy in a long time.  portsnap will
		replace my cvsup'ing ports after umpteen years.  It
		may only be with the 6.2 portsnap, bit it would gripe
		without /etc/portsnap.conf.   My fumble was in typing
		/etc/portsnap (sic) and wondering WTF was going on.
		After an hour+ I cd'd to /etc and saw the problem.

		Looks like with the default version built from
		/usr/src/usr.sbin/portsnap, you must have the config
		file with ^SERVERNAME=ftpN.freebsd.org and ^KEYPRINT="random,
		64-chars output by sha256".   I still hunt and peck;
		usally not this careless.  Hope this helps a few people.

		gary