what "port*" string can I crontab that will *work*?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Mar 12 19:49:01 UTC 2007

On Mar 12, 2007, at 12:41 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	Anybody have an automatic (/etc/crontab) method of keeping
> 	ports current?  I'm almost done upgrading my 5 systems to
> 	6.2  (to be able to grab valid packages) and tried portupgrade
> 	with several variants of flags/switches.  portuprade with
> 	-rpfP wound up  recycling my packages most of the time.  [?]
> 	I've starting to think that there may be no way of doing this
> 	automatically.  portmanager -b -u -l may be better:: dunno.

Trying to set up something to update ports automatically works only
when the changes involved do not require human intervention to adjust
config files, restart services after the update, and so forth.

In other words, this will work OK for a short period of time in the
face of minor version bumps, but as soon as a major change to one
port occurs which requires one to adjust or change a config file, an
automated update will break there.  There is no free lunch with
regard to managing servers...a human eventually needs to oversee the
process.

--
-Chuck