Problem with kdm

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 11:56:36 UTC 2007

On 12/03/07, Leslie Jensen <leslie at eskk.nu> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a little problem with kdm. When I try to sign on the screen
> reverts back to the login dialog after a few seconds. I can use xdm
> without any problems.
>
> The problem started when I switched my soundcard from an external
> soundblaster to the onboard Intel. I'm using the Intel HDA driver and it
> works! The KDE sound does not work but mplayer for example has sound.

I don't think that these two are actually related. The Display Manager
hasn't anything to do with the sound card, at least not after you
entered username and password.
So my guess is that you broke your KDM configuration somehow.
The situation you describe usually means that the session you're
trying to execute is invalid. This can have a variety of reasons.
I can't help you here because I don't know what session you're trying
to execute. Are you using KDE or Gnome, or do you have a ~/.xsession
defined? If the latter is the case I doubt that kdm did work for you,
because AFAIK KDM doesn't support Xsession.

First check what session is execute upon login. There is a Session
menu somewhere on the kdm login screen. Choose a session that you know
does exist.

> I've recompiled KDE but there's no change.
>
> I need suggestions on how to analyze this problem and to get kdm to work
> again.

HTH
Christian