DST on very old FreeBSD system

Brett Glass brett at lariat.net
Sat Mar 10 20:28:12 UTC 2007

I've been asked to update a very old FreeBSD system -- an embedded
system that's chugging along happily on FreeBSD 2.2.8 -- to handle
the new start and stop dates for Daylight Savings Time. There's no
need to update the OS on the system, because it is firewalled from
the Internet and runs the embedded hardware it has to run just fine.
But it does need the clock to be right to perform scheduled tasks.

If I simply copy /etc/localtime from a FreeBSD 6.1 system to that
one, will it work? Or has the time zone file format changed at all?
(I seem to recall that it was fixed by POSIX, but I don't know if
versions of FreeBSD that old are POSIX-compliant.)

--Brett Glass