java process logs wrong time

Zbigniew Szalbot zbyszek at szalbot.homedns.org
Fri Mar 9 06:51:06 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am using 6.2 version with a custom kernel config. Another machine uses
6.1 also with custom kernel.

On both of the machines there is java installed.
java version "1.5.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build diablo-1.5.0-b01)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build diablo-1.5.0_07-b01, mixed mode)

We have a program written in java and this program logs its operation to a
log file. It alwasy logs the correct hour when it does its work. Yesterday
I had to restart the program on 6.1 machine and noticed that the entries
in log file are now one hour behind. So I restarted the same java api on
the 6.2 machine and it did the same thing - it put the log entries as 7
a.m. when it actually was 8 a.m. (so java is one our behind the system
time but the program uses system date and time).

On both of the machines the system time is CET:
$ date
Fri Mar  9 07:46:22 CET 2007

And on both of them we use
  161  ??  IWs    0:00.00 adjkerntz -i

Up to when I had to restart java processes, the logging was always
consistent with the system time on both machines. Now it is not. Can you
give me any advice how to troubleshoot it? A thing to mention is that
there were no changes to the java api in the meantime. As for the systems,
6.1 has been patched but otherwise nothing changed. The 6.2 was upgraded
from 6.1. Otherwise no other (system) changes.

Can it have something to do with time zones? In our region (time zone) the
clocks have not been ajdusted yet for spring (but they will be shortly).

Thank you in advance!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot