remote install of 6.2

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Mar 8 22:37:52 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 05:19:57PM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 01:50:27PM -0800, Mark Messier wrote:
>
> > I have a remote machine running 4.8-p21.  The system has two disks in
> > it, but only one is used on a daily basis (the other is filled via dd
> > every now and then).
> >
> > I want to get this remote machine running 6.2, so I figured I'ld
> > install the new OS on the second disk, then boot off the second disk,
> > leaving the original first disk with all the user data on it (plus as
> > a way to back out).
> >
> > When I try to use /stand/sysinstall for this it seg-faults
> > early in the installation, but after the "Commit" step.
> >
> > I figure this is because the install process has changed a bit
> > since 4.8.
> >
> > Is there a way to fix this and/or what is the best way to achieve
> > my goal... which is:  install 6.2 on a remote system without hammering
> > the current system disk?
>
> Are you using an install CD?
> Use that to boot the machine - download the ISO and burn it if needed
> or buy one.
>
> Boot it up and do the install to the second disk.
> I know you can make it work from another disk if you unmount
> the second one and do things just right.  But, it is easier
> to just make the CD and do the install on the second disk.

Ahhh, I overlooked the part about being a remote install.   Well,
if you can get someone to stick in a CD and then take it out when
it comes time for reboot, that would still be the easier way.

Otherwise someone is going to have to take some time and think
about what the problem is.   It is true that /stand/sysinstall
has changed since 4.x.   I am not sure just how much it would
mangle things to use the old one.

////jerry