Network Printing recommendations please

Rod Person rodperson at comcast.net
Thu Mar 8 22:20:52 UTC 2007

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 21:27:57 -0000
"Andy Kendall" <andy at kendallnet.co.uk> wrote:

> The printers I have are a bullet-proof classic/HPLJ4 with internal
> JetDirect card, and a new HPDeskjet 6980 (colour inkjet).
>
> Unless someone can come up with a good reason to use X-Windows I
> don't know if I want to install it so that counts out LPRng?

I would go with cups because you could use the HP JetDirect socket
notation to connect to the printer. I believe you can do that with the
standard lp commands but I've not done that. It should be easy to set
up wth cups.

--

Rod

-----

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless like water.
Now you put water into a cup and it becomes the cup.
You put water in a bottle it becomes the bottle.
You put it into a teapot it becomes the teapot.
Now water can flow or it can crash.
Be water, my friend.
 -- Bruce Lee