mount_smb shows no files

Ken Williams finsbury5000 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 10:51:55 UTC 2007

Derek Ragona wrote:
> It is not clear what you are trying to do.  Are you
mounting Windows
> shares on a FreeBSD server?  Or mounting FreeBSD
samba shares onto a
> Windows XP client?
>
>         -Derek
>

> At 10:35 AM 3/7/2007, Daniel Feenberg wrote:
>
>> We are starting to use mount_smbfs to mount backup
shares on our
>> Windows XP systems. Formerly we were using Linux
successfully, but now
>> many of our mounts succeed, but don't show any
files.  We can't tell
>> what might be different among the XP systems to
explain the
>> difference, or why FreeBSD and Linux should be
different in this regard.

>> Demonstration (note that "ls /mnt" shows no files,
but there are files):

>> backup2# mount_smbfs //backup at rm316/backup /mnt
>> Password:
>> backup2# ls /mnt
>> backup2# df /mnt
>> Filesystem            1K-blocks     Used    Avail
Capacity  Mounted on
>> //BACKUP at RM316/BACKUP  36659328 13238176 23421152
 36%    /mnt
>> backup2# mount_smbfs -v
>> mount_smbfs: version 1.1.0
>> backup2# uname -a
>> FreeBSD backup2 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0:
Fri Jan 12
>> 10:40:27 UTC 2007

root at dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
 i386

>> Thanks
>>
>> Daniel Feenberg
>> feenberg isat nber dotte org

>> --
>> believed to be clean.
>> MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their
support.

 Hi Daniel,

 If you look at 'man mount_smbfs' you'll see in the
examples they recommend using the '-I' option to
specify the name (or IP address) of the host machine.
This method works for me, mounting Windows XP
shared-directories onto my FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE machine.

  So you would try a command like....

 mount_smbfs -I rm316.DOMAINNAME.TLD
//backup at rm316/backup /mnt

  You can also mount the filesystem automatically by
adding a line to your /etc/fstab file,

//backup at rm316.DOMAINNAME.TLD/backup  /mnt   smbfs
rw,noauto 0   0

  Hope this helps.

   Ken