Changing command-line resolution

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Thu Mar 8 04:29:41 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 21:48, frzburn wrote:
> Hi!
> I was wondering if there is a way to change the command-line
> resolution... Back then with Linux, I could adjust the resolution in grub
> or lilo by passing some parameters to the kernel. Is there any way to do
> the same thing in FreeBSD?
> I wouldn't want to waste that big wide screen =P
>
> I got a Dell Inspiron 6400 (e1505) with an NVidia video card running
> FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE amd64.

Build and install a kernel with options VESA and SC_PIXEL_MODE. Reboot.
Run "vidcontrol -i mode". Pick one you like and make a note of its number.
Then do something similar to "vidcontrol -f 8x14 cp437-8x14.fnt MODE_NNN",
replacing NNN with the mode you noted previously and 8x14 with one of 8x8,
8x14 or 8x16. The font file should match the font size and codepage you
want your terminal to be in. Repeat until you find the settings you want,
then add a line like this to /etc/rc.conf:
	allscreens_flags="-f 8x14 cp437-8x14.fnt MODE_NNN"
using the same substitutions.

See also man vidcontrol, man sc, and the FreeBSD handbook.

JN