.wavs play but not .mp3s

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Wed Mar 7 20:16:56 UTC 2007

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 10:13:35 +0100, Benjamin Sobotta wrote:
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 00:07:09 -0800
> Von: David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org>
> An: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> CC:
> Betreff: .wavs play but not .mp3s
>
> > I'm not having any trouble playing .wav files; lame -h
> > seems to happily convert them, and mpg123 and madplay
> > don't complain when I ask them to play .mp3s, but I'm
> > also not hearing any sound.
> >
> > So, why is this such a problem?
> >

> I'm not sure about this, but sometimes the volume of the different output devices is just maladjusted. You may want to check the output of "mixer" to see if any relevant devices are zero.

Hi Benjamin,

earth% mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line     is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer ogain    is currently set to  50:50
Mixer line1    is currently set to  75:75
Mixer phin     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer phout    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer video    is currently set to  75:75
Recording source: mic

And like I say, .wav files play fine.  Why
would these settings affect mp3s and not wavs?

Thanks!
--
David Benfell, LCP
benfell at parts-unknown.org
---
Resume available at http://www.parts-unknown.org/
NOTE: I sign all messages with GnuPG (0DD1D1E3).