/usr/local/etc/rc.d startup scripts

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed Mar 7 19:40:26 UTC 2007

In the last episode (Mar 07), Don O'Neil said:
> Are there any special naming requirements for scripts in
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d for 6.1?
>
> Someone is telling me they need to have a .sh suffix to startup
> correctly, but in past versions of FreeBSD anything you put in there
> would run as long as it was executable.

Scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d are processed using a two-pass method.
New rc.subr-style scripts are detected by the presence of a
"# PROVIDE:" line, and are ordered based on dependencies listed in
REQUIRE and BEFORE lines.  Old-style scripts have to end in *.sh, and
are run in alphabetical order after new scripts.  Files not ending in
.sh without a PROVIDE: line are ignored.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com