Setting Env

Drew Jenkins drewjenkinsjr at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 16:08:37 UTC 2007

I am aware of that. I was trying to explain how I used every_possible_combination of things I could think of!

>The export command is an sh and probably bash command and it
>doesn't exist in csh or tcsh.

Yes, yes. I know.

>> It didn't like either, presumably because it's not calling a bash or c-shell.
>> So, what should I put in /etc/rc.conf that will achieve my objective?
>
>Look at other variable setting in rc.conf.  That should give you
>a good clue.   For example, in my rc.conf I have several.  One is:
>  moused_enable="YES"
>That makes the moused_enable variable have a value of YES.
>So, if you want LD_LIBRARY_PATH to have the value of /usr/local/lib/mysql/
>might that not be:
>  LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib/mysql/"

I tried that and posted yesterday that that failed.

>If you put it in the script that starts things - there needs to be one -
>then it depends on the script language, csh/tcsh sh/bash.
>csh/tcsh use setenv and set
>sh [and bash] use set  and variable_name=value and needs an export to
>make it available to other entities besides the shell itself.
>You should look up the man pages on these things and take a look
>at some other scripts such as those in /usr/local/etc/rc.d for
>examples.

What *things*? As far as scripts, this *should* be easy...

#!/bin/csh
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/lib/mysql/

...right? It doesn't work. Any other ideas?
Drew