Laptop lid switch and ACPI

Kevin Downey redchin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 23:04:10 UTC 2007

On 3/6/07, frzburn <frzburn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I thought about it, and you're right... What I really need is to be
> able to do something upon an acpi event, like running a script when I close
> my lid...
>
> But I didn't find these info anywhere =(
> Please help me! =)
>
> acpi is working, it has control on my fan and monitors my CPU temperature.
> I tried devd -dD, and it reacts when I close my lid, but I don't know how to
> use this output...
>
> Thanks!
>
> frzburn
>

> On 3/6/07, Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 16:28:06 -0500
> > frzburn <frzburn at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I need a hint on how to get my screen turn off (backlight too) on my
> > Dell
> > > Laptop.
> > > I have an Inspiron 6400 (e1505), and FreeBSD 6 - amd64.
> >
> > Hi there,
> > I am not sure how to switch off the screen on the dell (independent of
> > ACPI)... in all laptops I've seen, it's fully controlled by the hardware
> > (bios?).
> > Have you got acpi working ?
> >
> > If you *do* have ACPI working, and you want to see whether it is firing
> > acpi at
> > all when you close the lid, you can restart devd in debugging mode:
> >
> > /etc/rc.d/devd stop
> > devd -dD
> >
> > and then try your ACPI events.
> >
> > Also, you should be able to tell your ACPI module to let you handle the
> > events
> > manually. For example, with the acpi_ibm.ko, the knob
> >
> > dev.acpi_ibm.0.events = 1
> >
> > tells acpi to pass all acpi messages to devd for handling. Search the logs
> > (in
> > mobile@ , i believe) - i've posted my config for some sample actions on
> > different ACPI events.
> >
> > BTW, you may be able to switch off the display using a user mode
> > application
> > that is related to your video card. For example, if you have a Radeon
> > card, the
> > radeontool allows you to switch off the panel and external monitor outputs
> > (although the ext monitor gets switched on when you switch to X's VT)
> >
> > HIH,
> > Beto
> > _________________________
> > {Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome
> >
> > "Against logic there is no armor like ignorance."
> >   Laurence J. Peter
I have a Inspiron 8200, and I have the following in /etc/devd.conf to
turn off the screen when the lid is closed:

notify 10 {
       match "system"          "ACPI";
       match "subsystem"       "Lid";
       match "notify"          "0x00";
       action "/usr/local/bin/xset -display :0 dpms force off > /tmp/xset.log";
};

--
The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred.