Apache Rotate Logs and Log Rotate.

David Robillard david.robillard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 06:02:24 UTC 2007

On 3/5/07, Peter Pluta <peter at placidpublishing.net> wrote:
> Gotcha, do you use a script to compress the logs after the SIGUSR1 and
> after waiting for a bit for apache to clear it's logging buffer (to not
> have missing logs)?

No I don't. I don't even see why one would want to do this?

Newsyslog deletes extra logs. So if our disk space is enough to hold
the amount of logs we require (see math below), then there's no need
to compress any Apache logs at all. Right!?!!

If we come back to my example of 100 VirtualHost with log files of 2Mb
each and we keep only 10 of them. Using USR1 as the kill signal, For
an httpd children to miss any log entry would mean that this children
writes more than 10 times 2Mb of logs in a very short period of time.
Check your VirtualHost load and determine the average response time
for each httpd children. If it's 2min (which is HUGE for an httpd
children) That would mean that you'd need to have more than 20Mb of
logs generated in less than 2min. In ASCII, that's a whole lot of
logs. I'd say your best bet would be to switch your LogLevel from
"debug" to "info" in your httpd.conf and restart Apache... ;)

Or you run a really busy website.
Or your web application code/architecture may need a revision.

Have fun!

David

--
David Robillard