defrag

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Mar 6 04:24:59 UTC 2007

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2007-03-02 11:27, Mario Lobo <mario.lobo at ipad.com.br> wrote:

>> This is what worked for me:
>>
>> [~]>gunzip -c /usr/share/doc/smm/05.fastfs/paper.ascii.gz > paper.ascii
>> [~]>groff paper.ascii > ffs.ps
>> [~]>ps2pdf ffs.ps
>> [~]>acroread ffs.pdf
>
> Actually 'paper.ascii' is a plain ASCII file with some 'escape
> sequences' -- like literal backspace and repeated characters, to denote
> *bold* text.  It's not valid groff input AFAIK, but you can strip off
> the special characters with:
>
>     gunzip -c /usr/share/doc/smm/05.fastfs/paper.ascii.gz > 05.fastfs.ascii
>     col -b < 05.fastfs.ascii > 05.fastfs.txt && rm 05.fastfs.ascii
>
> Then you have a plain text version of 05.fastfs.txt, which can be
> converted to PS and/or PDF with tools like a2ps or enscript :)

As *you* know, but maybe some others don't, I'm a (relative) newb and
was clueless about these "old papers"; I believe I came across my
hackage by, err, hacking?  It worked, but not nearly so prettily ;-)

Oh, and I tried *piping* to `col -bx`, but no joy.  Thanks for the
__real__ magic!

KDK

--
There is one difference between a tax collector and
a taxidermist -- the taxidermist leaves the hide.