Cloning a disk -large to small

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Mar 4 17:50:52 UTC 2007

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, Grant Peel wrote:

> I have been researching the use of 'dd' quite a bit lately as I have
> had to clone a newly setup server.

dump/restore is generally a better solution for cloning drives.  On
large drives, dd wastes a lot of time copying empty sectors.

> I was wondering though, if one had a newly setup disk on a 74 GB SCSI
> dirve, is there some know turning that can be done to clone it to a
> smaller drive? Say 36 GB?

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NEW-HUGE-DISK

Using dump works for going from large to small partitions, too, as long
as the small partition is big enough to hold all the data.