Running X window system

Warwick Sweetnam deexenigma at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 4 03:50:59 UTC 2007

Hi, I am having trouble getting X window system to
boot on a 2196 24A IBM Aptiva. The specs of the on-board
graphics card are as follows:
64meg Ram
SiS540 or SiS630

The monitor is a dell lcd model no. 1504FP
specs are as follows:
Resolution

Horizontal scan range 31 kHz to 60 kHz (automatic)
Vertical scan range 60 Hz to 75 Hz (automatic)
Optimal preset resolution 1024 x 768 at 60 Hz
Highest preset resolution 1024 x 768 at 75 Hz
* Highest addressable resolution 1024 x 768 at 75 Hz
Most resolutions run primarily on VESA of which I
have tried as generic driver.

Ive tried running the system with all different options
and resolutions, including running with the generic SiS
drivers, when I try to select specific chipsets there is
never an exact match, the closest match in the options
to the SiS540 is the SiS530, and closet to SiS630 is SiS620,
im unsure of the exact chipset on my board as i cant seem
to locate the model anywhere, I just know from a maintenence
manual that these are the 2 possible chipsets.

I have tried entering the horizontal and vertical refresh rates
manually and running with both types of SiS chipset drivers
at different low resolutions and different bit depths (24 and 16)
but still no luck.
If it helps I am trying to run fluxbox with on this particular install
and are following a step-by-step guide but not a lot of
troubleshooting advice is given unfortunatly.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I hope to have provided
the needed information.