Firefox only runs as root--help!

Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum bg271828 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 3 19:38:45 UTC 2007

Paulette McGee <paulette_mcgee at yahoo.com> wrote:
--- "Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum"
wrote:

> This is a resend of something i sent to the
> freebsd-gnome list a few days
> ago, but there wer no answers and i think its a real
> problem, so i hope
> no one minds.
>
> I have a new install of FreeBSD 6.2, and installed
> Gnome 2.16 and other things, including Firefox 2.0,
> from Ports.
>
> Firefox only runs as root. Every time. I Googled and
> saw that in an early
> version there was a problem that it had to be run
> the _first_ time as root
> but after that it was OK, but thats not the problem
> here--it ONLY runs as
> root all the time. If I type "firefox" on the
> command line it
> just immediately returns to the command line, no
> error messages
> of any sort, nothing in /var/log/messages.
>
> When run as root it seems to be fine. The binary has
> execute
> permissions for everyone.
>
> What do i need to be doing?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jen

What happens if you type "firefox" on the command line
as a normal user?As i posted in the message you replied to, if you type firefox nothing
happens, it just returns silently to the commandline.

But anyway the problem was that my .mozilla directory and everything
in it was permitted only to root. So when i changed that everything
worked fine.

Thanks!

Jen