compiling ports with more than one job

Christian Baer christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de
Sat Mar 3 12:33:33 UTC 2007

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:44:16 -0600 Josh Paetzel wrote:

> The issues with the config screen sounds like a bug, but one that is
> unlikely to get fixed any time soon.  You can avoid it by doing a
> make config-recursive before building the port, but you're still
> going to run in to the problem that ports are not guarranteed to
> by -jX safe, some will work, some won't, and there's no way of
> knowing without trying it.  In general you can save yourself a lot of
> headaches by not trying in the first place.

I don't have a headache because the port didn't compile, but because
compiling without -jX is *really* slow. SPARC CPUs are just slow (by
today's standards). Therefore the wish to use all of them (in my case
both) is a lot bigger than it would be for someone with an AMD64 5000+
to use both cores.

Regards
Chris