Firefox only runs as root--help!

Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum bg271828 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 3 03:04:34 UTC 2007

This is a resend of something i sent to the freebsd-gnome list a few days
ago, but there wer no answers and i think its a real problem, so i hope
no one minds.

I have a new install of FreeBSD 6.2, and installed Gnome 2.16 and other things, including Firefox 2.0, from Ports.

Firefox only runs as root. Every time. I Googled and saw that in an early
version there was a problem that it had to be run the _first_ time as root
but after that it was OK, but thats not the problem here--it ONLY runs as
root all the time. If I type "firefox" on the command line it
just immediately returns to the command line, no error messages
of any sort, nothing in /var/log/messages.

When run as root it seems to be fine. The binary has execute
permissions for everyone.

What do i need to be doing?

Thanks!

Jen