hardware question

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Sat Mar 3 01:47:31 UTC 2007

On Mar 1, 2007, at 10:38 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> jekillen wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe. Read this document:
>>> <http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3540>.
>>> -Garrett
>>>
>> Thanks, in my flustered state of mind I just poked out this message
>> and then
>> decided to follow advices I have gotten in the past, ask Google. I
>> came up
>> with a Wikipedia article that was positive. I also decided to look
>> back at the
>> specs listed on the Tiger Direct site where I got the interface cards
>> and there
>> it was, pretty plain. There is still a problem. One of the cards is
>> initializing and
>> the other is not. I have not determined which one is not. But the
>> punch line
>> is that the one that does show up shows up with status no carrier in
>> ifconfig.
>> I looked back the the FreeBSD site, at hardware notes for v6.2 and it
>> appears
>> that that card specifically, is not listed as supported. 82572 is
>> listed as supported
>> by the em driver, but Intel® 82572EI or Intel® 82572GI Gigabit
>> Controller is not
>> listed specifically, Well that is another $70+ not well enough spent.
>> thanks for the response.
>> Jeff K
>
> There's always -current or an RMA. Weird though... I didn't think that
> the slot size was large enough though for a PCIx card slot.
> Interesting...

There  is more, I had one card in the secondary x16 slot and one card
in the usable x1 slot. I noticed that in the above situation, the fwe
inteface
was still configured.
I took the card from the secondary x16 slot and put it in the primary
x16 slot, Booted up and the em0 interface came up. I shut down the fwe
interface
and was able to ping the em0 interface. I moved the card from the
usable x1 slot and moved it to the secondary x16 slot. Now both cards
show up
as up and running but I cannot ping the em1 interface. I went into
rc.conf and took out the fwe configuration line. It still shows up in
ifconfig listed
between em0 and em1. I am suspecting that this interface is somehow
interfering with the em1 interface. So progress is happening but I am
weary
of the sleuthing I have to do to get things working. At least I do have
one enet connection to the machine, now.
Jeff K