Using source control to manage system configs

Rob freebsd at deathbeforedecaf.net
Fri Mar 2 05:39:03 UTC 2007

On 01/03/2007, at 4:26 AM, David Robillard wrote:

> Well, I'm not quite sure that it will answer all of your questions,
> but take a look at Luke Kanies's article called ''Using version
> control in system administration''.
>
> It's available from the USENIX website at
> http://www.usenix.org/publications/login/2005-12/pdfs/kanies.pdf

Thanks David - that was really useful.

I think that my 'directory based' approach to version management
comes from using RCS (and SCCS). With those tools, the only way to
track groups of files was to keep them in different places.

So instead of dragging my RCS habits into the world of CVS, it's
probably time to learn about branching. That seems to be the standard
way to handle shared files with local modifications.

Rob.