hardware question

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Mar 2 04:19:15 UTC 2007

Garrett Cooper wrote:
> jekillen wrote:
>> Hello;
>> I have built a machine with ASUS M2N32 WS pro motherboard.
>> It has dual network interface ports that are Marvell interfaces.
>> I understand that FreeBSD does not yet support Marvell as of
>> v6.2. I did get a reference to a source for the driver source and
>> instructions to compile and install. But my short term solution was
>> to get Intel nics that fit in PCIe lane one slots. As fate would have
>> it one of the slots is situated too close to some copper vain heat
>> dissipation attachments, so the second interface card will not
>> fit in the slot for the obstruction.
>> So, my question is simple:
>> Can I use a network interface card made for a PCIe lane one slot
>> in a PCIe lane 16 slot and expect it to work?
>>
>> By way of explanation: I need to interfaces because I am using
>> this machine as a web server and I want one public ip address
>> assigned to it and one private ip address assigned to it also.
>> I have all but http and dns blocked from the outside. I use ssh
>> and ftp to post content to the machine on the inside network.
>> Thanks, not tearing my hair just yet....
>> Jeff K
>
> Maybe. Read this document: <http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3540>.
> -Garrett

Actually after looking at the size and slots of PCI-Express x16 vs
standard PCIe, _no_, you can't. In
<http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3767> there's a picture
comparing PCIe x16 to PCI, PCIe x8, and PCI-X, and there's no way that
it will fit... Besides the PCI-x has 1 lane while PCI-x16 has 16. That's
what I get for not having a up to date machine that I could judge this
from (still stuck in the PCI "dark ages").

-Garrett