defrag

Richard Lynch ceo at l-i-e.com
Thu Mar 1 21:47:25 UTC 2007

On Thu, March 1, 2007 3:35 pm, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Steve Franks wrote:
>> How come I never hear defrag come up as a topic, and can't find
>> anything related to defrag in the ports tree?  Is it really not an
>> issue on UFS?  Can someone point me to an explantion if so?

I've been told that most modern file systems have much better
allocation routines and/or automated defragmentation as needed.

So that the need to do "defrag" is essentially almost 0 for almost all
users.

No promises that this answer is correct, but it sure sounded good to me.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?