running portupgrade -a

r17fbsd at xxiii.com r17fbsd at xxiii.com
Sat Jun 30 00:07:55 UTC 2007

At 07:14 PM 6/29/2007, you wrote:
>So, is running portupgrade -a a good idea, as you likely haven't
>checked for issues
>for your system?

I just started using portupgrade recently, and no, I would NOT let it
rip with the --all option.

I find it's most useful for the libraries and required packages that
don't need any compile-time options nor config files.  Those sorta
things I install from packages anyway.  So I started with a list of
stuff that required compile time control and/or configuration. "ls
/var/db/ports" and pkg-info are a good start...  Then run
"portupgrade -aiP"  -i asks for confirmation on each, and -P tries to
get it from packages (binary) rather than ports.  Let that update all
the "background" junk.

Than go back and research and possibly manually remake & install the
primary apps (eg:  apache, samba, squid, in my case.)

    HTH, -RW