freebsd / gateway / parental control

r17fbsd at xxiii.com r17fbsd at xxiii.com
Fri Jun 29 23:41:08 UTC 2007

At 11:43 AM 6/29/2007, zbigniew szalbot wrote:
>As far as I remember, when installing FBSD I chose not to install
>Linux binary compatibility (not sure if that matters though). But my
>question is more general. Can Linux software be safely (and
>securely) used on a unix platform? I am happy to use squid and
>dansguardian, especially that for a home network I do not need a
>complete software suites, do I?

IPCop that was suggested is NOT a stand-alone application that you
can run in linux compat mode.  It's an entire linux distro, with O/S,
servers and apps all pre-installed & configured.  It needs to be
installed on a dedicated machine;  although the hardware requirements
are minimal and it doesn't need to be a fast machine.  It might run
on a virtual PC if you just wanted to test drive it.  It's a 15MB
.ISO file you burn to CD and boot to the installer.  It can be
installed to a bootable USB key if your machine supports those.

If you have an old IDE drive 250MB or bigger (everybody does, right?)
throw it in a spare machine and try it.  You'll need a 2nd NIC unless
your WAN connection is serial.  I run it with the old 4-port Adaptec
NICs found on Ebay for $10.

I know some of ya' are grumbling that I'm advocating or even
mentioning a linux based package here, but it is a rather kick-ass
package, and it is at least non-windoze and open-source  ;)

   -RW