freebsd / gateway / parental control

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Jun 28 23:24:41 UTC 2007

On Jun 28, 2007, at 4:07 PM, zigniew szalbot wrote:
>> I use squid and dansguardian. Very easy to setup.
>> 	/usr/ports/www/dansguardian
>
> I have never tried squid but it seems quite a big package. I have also
> seen oops but not sure which to choose. Basically, will squid not
> be an
> overkill for a family network consisting of 3-4 machines? The box I
> want
> to devote for gateway/pc purposes is a Compaq PIII 866 Mhz with 512
> MB RAM
> and 40GB HD.

Squid works just fine for a single-user environment, even, especially
if you use an adblocker and/or override the local DNS for annoying
adfarm sites to return just a transparent 1x1 pixel GIF image instead
of the ads.  Squid is noticeably smarter about figuring out when to
recheck web resources for changes and do so efficiently compared to
pretty much all of the local caching done by browsers.

--
-Chuck