Upgrading from an old athlon to a new 64 bit one.

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Thu Jun 28 16:02:06 UTC 2007

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:12:39 -0500
eculp at unixmania.com wrote:

> What I am trying to do is compile an amd64 kernel, install it and
> see what happens ;) I can always go back to the generic kernel
> compiled in sys/i386.

amd64 and i386 are different platforms in the same sense that sparc64
and ppc are different platforms. An AMD 64 is not back-compatible to
pentium pro code  when it's in 64-bit mode. Whilst 32-bit binaries can
be run on the amd64 platform, they need special handling, you can't
just mix-and-match world and kernel platforms.