Upgrading from an old athlon to a new 64 bit one.

eculp at unixmania.com eculp at unixmania.com
Wed Jun 27 21:30:47 UTC 2007

Quoting Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl>:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 02:50:30PM -0500, eculp at encontacto.net wrote:
>>  I have just stuck the disks from an old AMD Athlon(tm)  (1333.39-MHz
>>  686-class CPU) into a new box with an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+
>>  (2387.78-MHz 686-class CPU).  I am still building a daily kernel with the
>>  old configuration and all is well.  Of course the old configuration was/is
>>  i386.  Now I need to compile for 64 bit apps.  I have configured a slightly
>>  modified sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC kernel and was going to build it as a test
>>  only to find out that a simple make buildkernel KERNCONF=AMD doesn't find
>>  /sys/amd64/conf/AMD.  There is an old reference in UPDATING from 5.0 that
>>  didn't work either.
>>
>>  The other question is on today's make world all seems to still be compiled
>>  ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386 so I am sure missing something very
>>  simple.
>
> It is possible to cross-build for amd64, but you'll need a seperate
> partition to put the 64-bit environment on. Look at the mailing list
> archives. This question has come up before.
>
> But to keep things simple, I'd advise you to backup your files,
> configuration files from /etc and possible /usr/ports/distfiles,
> reinstall from an amd64 CD and then rebuild your kernel, world and ports
> to your liking.

Hi Roland.

Boy am I glad that I asked.  That is probably the last thing I would
have done.  Plus thanks for the answer, I must not have done a proper
search.

I hope that the apps will run after reinstalling.   I assume that the
source tree will somehow recognize that I will be building world and
the kernel on a AMD64.  I'm downloading a copy of disk2 from FreeBSD
now.

Have a great day.

ed