patches for the 6.2-RELEASE kernel

Albert Shih Albert.Shih at obspm.fr
Wed Jun 27 11:29:35 UTC 2007

 Le 26/06/2007 à 19:40:29+0200, Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez a écrit
> Hi Folks.
>
> I am FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE user. i'm learning FreeBSD.
>
> Some times, i see people have a system named 6.2-RELEASE-pxx, where
> xx is a number. I know that -pxx are security patches, or not only
> security and too are patches for solve bugs?.

You must update you source tree by using csup (it's integrate in FreeBSD
now), with some config file like

*default host=cvsup5.fr.freebsd.org compress
*default release=cvs
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default prefix=/usr
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default tag=RELENG_6_2
src-all

After that you can read the file

/usr/src/UPDATING

wich containt the problem each patch level fix. And it's your «job» to
known if this problem affect you.

> My dude is: is very convenient have upgraded the kernel to this
> patches. I'm a home user, not a bussiness. Nothing "important"
> depend on my system.

I think you're Linux user ;-)

The source tree containt all systeme. What's mean the kernel and the
userland (like cd/ls/etc.).

Well you need to known if the patch-level is affect the userland or/and
kernel.

But if you've a modern PC, you can make world. For that you can do:

	cd /usr/src
	make -DNO_PROFILE buildworld
	make buildkernel (add KERNELCONF=you_config_name, if you've custom kernel
		  config)

	make installkernel (add KERNELCONF= etc....)
	reboot

when you'r in boot menu choose item 4 for boot in single mode

when you obtaint something like shell press Return, you are in single mode
with only / mounted.

Type :

	mount -a -t ufs

	cd /usr/src
	make -DNO_PROFILE installworld (this thing install all userland)
	mergemaster (this thing make all etc_file in /tmp and do a big diff
		and ask you if you want install the new file or keep the
		old one).

	logout

After that you have a fresh kernel, and fresh userland.

Hope that's help

Regards.

--
Albert SHIH