Missing /dev/agpgart

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 20 20:34:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 10:10:01PM +0200, Alberto Rizzi wrote:
> Roland Smith ha scritto:
> > On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 06:44:21PM +0200, Alberto Rizzi wrote:
> >> Ok I know this, but I want 2D acceleration, but without /dev/agpgart I
> >> don't have neither 3D nor 2D.
> >> Am I right?
> >
> > Reading radeon(4) it implies that agp is only used when DRI is
> > enabled. The AGP options and the BusType option are only used when DRI
> > is enabled. It doesn't look like you need AGP for the 2D support.
> >
> > Roland
> My pc is P4 2.4GHz and Radeon 9600XT but Xorg 7.2 with Xfce4 (but also
> with wmii or other window manager) is very sloooooow
>
> How can I check whether 2D acceleration is active or not?

grep Accel /var/log/Xorg.0.log

In my case this shows:
(**) RADEON(0): Initializing Acceleration
(II) RADEON(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
(II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled

> How can I improve performances?
> My xorg.conf is

You can remove GLcore, and dri, they're not supported on 9600XT yet.

> 	Load  "GLcore"
> 	Load  "xtrap"
> 	Load  "dri"
> 	Load  "freetype"
> 	Load  "type1"
> EndSection

This might be slow as well.

> Section "Extensions"
> 	Option 		"Composite" "Enable"
> EndSection

According to radeon(4):

       Option "RenderAccel" "boolean"
              Enables  or  disables hardware Render acceleration.  This driver
              does not support component alpha (subpixel)  rendering.   It  is
              only  supported  on  Radeon  series  up  to  and  including 9200
              (9500/9700 and newer unsupported).  The  default  is  to  enable
              Render acceleration.

> Section "Device"

I think you can remove these five Options, because your hardware doesn't
support them.

> 	Option    	"AGPMode"      			"8"
> 	Option   	"AGPFastWrite"       	"on"
> 	Option		"AccelMethod"			"XAA"
> 	Option		"EnablePageFlip"		"1"
> 	Option		"ColorTiling"			"1"
> 	Identifier  "Card0"
> 	Driver      "radeon"
> 	VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
> 	BoardName   "RV350 AR [Radeon 9600]"
> 	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"

A couple of years ago, ATI released programming documentation for
radeons up to 9250 (rv280). So those are very well supported by
Xorg. Documentation for newer models was hard/impossible to obtain for a
long time. But recently an open source driver for the r500 chips called
xf86-video-avivo was announced, and AMD has committed itself to release
open source drivers for ATI cards was well.

So you could look for an older 9200 card, or wait for the new drivers.

Roland