rsync and perms...

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Sat Jun 16 19:12:27 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007, Agus wrote:
>Hi all,
>Trying to use rsync to update my home page in my freebsd, i am not able to
>keep the owner,group and perms of the files...
>I do all the updates in my ubntu. when everything is ready I run from my
>ubuntu:
>rsync -uav --delete --rsh=ssh /home/user/web/ root at ip_of_bsd:/root/web/
>
>I tried also with -pog and same results...
>
>Files are updated but the perms and owner and group changes to the ones in
>my ubuntu....
>
>I want to keep the bsd existing perms and users...How can i do that??

If the users and groups are the same on the system, the -a option
to rsync should preserve owner, group, and permissions.

One can also use rsync modules in the rsyncd.conf file to specify
user and group.  Using rsync modules also has the advantages of
restricting access to the directory specified in the module, and
can also restrict access based on IP addresses.

Bill
--
INTERNET:  bill at Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
FAX:           (206) 232-9186   Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676

independence.  -- Charles A. Beard